Romance is common in the early stages of a relationship, but quickly fades when the chase is over. It doesn’t take too long before a relationship suffers from a lack of romance. It certainly doesn’t have to be that way. It’s best if it’s not that way! Keeping the romance alive is important in any intimate relationship. Fortunately, there are many simple and easy things anyone can do to reintroduce romance into a relationship, including these:
1. Hold hands. Holding hands is free, easy, and can be done nearly anywhere. It requires no effort, but it is meaningful. Holding hands is a simple and easy way to add a little romance to your life. Researchers prove that human touch triggers brain waves that are responsible for the feeling of happiness. Hand holding brings you closer to each other and it makes your relationship way stronger. It builds trust and helps you two unite in ways you couldn’t even dream of.
2. Shop together. It all depends on what you’re shopping for. Shopping for a new shovel isn’t all that romantic. But shopping for perfume, jewelry, or lingerie can be romantic. Playing shopping games can be fun as well. Pick a set of questions, go shopping and then show each other what you purchased. You have to shop at the same store at the same time but check out on different registers.
3. Give a quick compliment. A quick compliment can be romantic, depending on the nature of the compliment. “I love the way you mowed the grass this week” isn’t going to turn up the romantic energy. “I just love the way you look in your glasses” might just do the trick. The gift of confidence is one of the best gifts you can give and receive. Providing compliments just simply makes them feel good.
4. Take a short road trip. Get out of town and explore someplace new. It can be a nature area or a diner famous for its cheeseburgers. There’s something romantic about hopping in the car and going on a little adventure together. It’s important to fill the days with memories that you both can look back on in 10 or 20 years and think “wow, that was pretty special.” It truly is the little things that really matter.
5. Turn off your phone. Give your partner your full attention. Turn off your phone and put it away. Your little games and meaningless text messages will still be there in an hour. Nothing says “You’re not important to me” like having a conversation with someone while staring at your phone. So, the next time you’re with another human and you feel tempted to pull out your phone—stop. Put it away. Look them in the eyes and listen to what they have to say. Do it for them, do it for yourself, do it to make the world a better place. Live in the moment and see things as they happen.
6. Date night. Go out on a date just like you did back in the day. Even the traditional dinner and a movie can be romantic if you haven’t done it in a while. Share a big tub of popcorn and hold hands in the dark. Date Nights improve communication between partners, increases intimacy, and reinforces your commitment to each other. Getting rid of negative feelings and replacing them with positive ones will continue to make your relationship grow. So, plan that date night.
7. Flowers or plants. Flowers are a cliché for a reason. Flowers aren’t very practical, but that’s part of what makes them romantic. What type of flowers does your partner like? You do know, right? If flowers are not your thing or theirs, buy a house plant. They boost your mood. They're good for your health. They help you focus, and they help you breathe easier.
8. A small gift. A small, random gift is always kind and appreciated. It can also be romantic, again, depending on the gift. A 10-pack of pencils won’t score a lot of romantic points. Gift giving is said to strengthen the bond between two people. It shows that you value the person in your life and care for their happiness. So go and grab a bottle of cologne, a new piece of jewelry or a card that says it all.
9. Random text. A romantic text out of the blue is a great gesture that can enhance anyone’s mood. Even a simple, “I was just thinking about you” text can brighten your significant other’s day. Text messages from your significant other can release even more dopamine. Don't be afraid to send a random text and have fun with it.
10. Show how excited you are to see them. We love it when people are genuinely happy to see us. Show your partner how much you care by putting on a display of enthusiasm for his or her arrival. Think about how an adult greets a toddler they haven’t seen lately. That’s the general vibe you’re shooting for.
11. Random affection. A hug or a kiss at an unexpected moment can be very romantic. The more surprising, the more romantic, generally speaking. Physical affection releases feel-good hormones, lowers blood pressure and makes you appear more trustworthy.
12. Cook a meal together. Go shopping for ingredients together and then share the 2 cooking duties. Cooking together can be both fun and romantic. You both share a responsibility regardless of your gender, engage in a really great form of stress relief, and bond without getting distracted by a smartphone or tablet. You never know what dessert will bring.
There’s plenty a motivated person can do to rekindle the romance in their relationship. Romance doesn’t have to be overly expensive, complicated, or mushy. There are many simple, kind gestures that are romantic. Avoid allowing your relationship to slowly drift off into a rut. If your relationship is not growing, it's dying, and we don't want that. So, take the time and invest in your relationship, it's worth it. You can put your relationship back on course and make both of you happier with easy romantic actions. Have a LOVE filled day!